Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Light of My Life

Our Jace





At 10:03 a.m. on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006 I received a call from my son and the Light of my life went out and will shine no more on so many that loved him dearly. My beautiful baby grandson passed from this place in his sleep on the morning of May 23rd. Jace Owen Thomas brought immense joy to my life and that of his loving parents and many other relatives and friends for 162 days and a few hours before the horror that is S.I.D.S. grabbed him without warning and in an instant Jace was gone. The worst 40 minutes of my life happened as I frantically drove the miles to my son's house screaming that somehow there must be a mistake or at least that I be taken instead of the baby but all I got was the tragic reality and endless sorrow.

Jace touched many hearts that he never even got a chance to know. When I last saw Jace he smiled broadly at me and I will believe that he knew me at least a little. Our memory of Jace will endure beyond all things as we struggle (as so many other families have) to understand how or why a precious and innocent child would be claimed. There must be a special place and a strong guardian for one so young and helpless. There has to be, right?

I hope anyone who may have begun following this blog site will understand and forgive me if I don't do too many posts in the coming days or weeks. You see, EVERYTHING has changed. Reality has been altered. Events or situations I deemed important are no longer so (and may never be again)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks again for sharing these wonderful pictures and memories... As you know from our talks, it's so hard to put it in words; even from afar. I'm happy that we have this medium to remember the good times...

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, Jason, et al.,

I think Jim could not have said it better. Seeya tommorrow

9:09 AM  
Blogger Jaydog said...

I believe that there IS a "special place and strong guardian" for Jace.

I believe that he is happy and laughing with other children.

I believe that he is cradled and protected in sheltering arms.

I believe.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I know that our Jace is in your heart and mind as well.

Somehow Jace will bring us through this time because we will smile and have warm hearts through our thoughts of him.

Dad

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

To Jaydog; Thank you so much for your beautiful expression in your comment.

As each day passes we will all feel our Jace's spirit and he will help us to release the despair and carry with us those precious times we were given. At least that is the hope.

Greg

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful Angel.. I'm truly without words.. Im sorry.

Josie

1:41 PM  
Blogger SweetLady_Tiger said...

I just wanted to send you my condolances about your Grandson. It must leave a terrible gap in your heart.

I found your blog through Loki's Blog. You have a nice Blog too. I will definately be back.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your nice sentiment,sweetlady_tiger. The days go by slowly now as things have changed so much. But I try to think of Jace's early smiles and holding him those few times.

If there is a special place after this life I have to believe Jace is there and waiting.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! this is sad!
Please pass on my condolences to the entire family!
May God bless the entire family with enough courage to live through such a heavy loss. Ameen!
*hugs*
Hope you're doin better Greg!

11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your kinds words jks. There is no doubt that our lives have been changed. We all are trying to focus on the blessing that Jace's short time with us brought to our hearts. With time it is my hope that the "screen" will be removed from the window I view life from at the moment.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home